Sign up to stay in touch!
Thank you! You have successfully subscribed to Skipjack's newsletter.
A British made, late 19th century brass sextant imported and sold by the Chas. C. Hutchinson nautical instruments company, Boston Mass. Engraved on arc “CHAS. C. HUTCHINSON, BOSTON” and on the left corner, “ENGLISH.”
A fine maritime instrument surviving in good working order with a single scope. Graduated silver arc and vernier, with black coated brass frame and fittings. The silver scale is calibrated -5 to +120 degrees and the silver vernier scale reads from 0 to 10 arc seconds in 2 second intervals. The sextant has four shades for the index mirror, and three shades for the horizon mirror, all surviving in good order. The sextant, scopes and accessories are housed in its original mahogany box with brass carrying handle on front side. The box lock and keep are still intact, but the key is missing. Two swing latches keeps the box shut. Rosewood handle, index arm clamp, and swing arm magnifier are complete and in good working order. The telescope adjusts up and down by turning a knob located below the frame.
As a young man Charles C. Hutchinson served as an apprentice to F.W. Lincoln, Jr., a nautical instrument maker, math instructor, and great-grandson of Paul Revere and later, mayor of Boston. F.W. Lincoln and Company was located at 62 then 136 Commercial St in Boston. In 1858 Hutchinson became a partner with Lincoln and the business moved to 126 Commercial St. By 1883 Hutchinson bought out the business and renamed it Chas. C. Hutchinson Nautical Instruments. The business imported and sold nautical and surveying instruments, charts, marine glasses, telescopes and flags. It was located at 154 State Street from 1893 until 1932, when it moved to 175 State Street opposite the Custom House.
THE JAMESTOWN-YORKTOWN FOUNDATION
The deed of gift from the family that donated this nautical object, stipulated that the proceeds of the sale would support the Jamestown Settlement sailing program. Private funding has an essential role in supporting the largely volunteer nature of this effort. Along with three paid staff members, up to 35 individuals volunteer 10,000 hours each year to maintain and sail these historic ships.
Jamestown Settlement’s Susan Constant, Godspeed and Discovery – re-creations of the three vessels that brought America’s first permanent English colonists to Virginia in 1607 – have been designated “the official fleet of the Commonwealth” by the Virginia General Assembly.
Each year one of the ships sails periodically to other ports to participate in commemorative and community events and host educational programs for students. Sailing program volunteer crew assist visitors and students in exploring the ships and learning about the 1607 voyage and 17th-century shipboard activities.
Jamestown Settlement is located on State Route 31 and the Colonial Parkway. For more information and admission rates, call (888) 593-4682 toll-free or (757) 253-4838, or visit www.historyisfun.org.
Skipjack Nautical Wares & Marine Art Gallery is proud to be selected as the marketing and selling agent for this donated collection of nautical items in order to raise funds to support the Jamestown Settlement sailing program. Please donate generously to the Jamestown Settlement to help keep this important piece of our American history flourishing.
Dealers of nautical antiques and collectibles, marine art, lamps, lighting, ship salvage and hardware, Skipjack sells quality nautical furniture and furnishings, marine instruments, model boats, nautical gifts and decor. Skipjack’s Marine Art Gallery features marine paintings, sculptures, ship models and folk art featuring mermaids, whales, fish and fowl.