An American made late 19th century all brass lamp with clear glass bulls-eye lens. Features a vented compressed ball chimney with shaped handle and flattened back with bulkhead mounting bracket. Retains the original snap-in burner made by DIETZ that fits into the bottom. The company label mounted above the mounting bracket states "CHAS. C. HUTCHINSON / 152 STATE ST. / BOSTON. MASS." The bulls-eye lens is marked inside with #3 for a 3 inch diameter lens. Wonderful aged modeled bronzed patina and the lantern survives in good condition with only a few minor dents and almost invisible, a few small stress cracks on the lamp neck. Measures 8 ½” tall exclusive of handle and 4 ¼” in diameter.
HISTORY: As a young man Charles C. Hutchinson served as an apprentice to F.W. Lincoln, Jr., a nautical instrument maker, math instructor, and great-grandson of Paul Revere. F.W. Lincoln and Company was located at 62 then 136 Commercial St in Boston. In 1858 Hutchinson became a partner with Lincoln and the business moved to 126 Commercial St. By 1883 Hutchinson bought out the business and renamed it Chas. C. Hutchinson Nautical Instruments. The chandlery imported and sold nautical and surveying instruments, charts, marine glasses, telescopes, lamps and flags. It was located at 152 State Street from 1893 until 1932, when it moved to 175 State Street.