Early to mid 20th century ship-in-a-bottle of the British Clipper Ship "Thermopylae" on blue clay seas. The "Thermopylae" was an extreme composite clipper ship built in 1868 by Walter Hood & Co of Aberdeen to the design of Bernard Weymouth of London for the White Star Line of Aberdeen. Thermopylae measured 212'0" x 36'0" x 20'9". She was rigged with royal sails, single topgallant and double top-sails. The wood hull in painted black and the deck features deck houses, grates and a pair of lifeboats and is flying the British Red Ensign, used by civilian vessels. The old clear glass bottle is marked U G B which is the United Glass Bottle Manufacturers, Inc. (large conglomerate of many glass factories in the United Kingdom). Mark dates from 1913 to about 1968.
Thermopylae was designed for the China tea trade, and set speed records on her maiden voyage to Melbourne - 63 days, still the fastest trip under sail. In 1872 she raced the clipper "Cutty Sark" from Shanghai back to London and won by seven days after "Cutty Sark" lost her rudder. In 1895 she was sold to Portugal and used as a naval training ship. The Portuguese Navy torpedoed her at sea in 1906.