An early 20th century liquid-filled compass made by John Bliss & Co., New York, serial number 1652 as engraved on the compass outer ring. The company name is located on the compass face, just below the fleur de lis pointing north. The compass card has numerical degrees on the outer edge and retains its liquid fill and measures 7 inches in diameter. The compass is mounted on to a gimbal ring fitted into the box. The machine dovetailed mahogany box measures 10 1/2 X 11 X 4 1/2 inches high and retains a great old marine varnish finish. The lid to the compass is missing. Weighs 16 1/2 pounds. From the Arthur A. Rebman Maritime Collection.
The earliest history of Bliss liquid compasses advertised was printed in the 1893 Almanac.
Boxed Compass by John E. Hand & Co., New York, nautical, marine, maritime instrument