This large vintage Polish shipyard plaque is cast with heavy, solid brass and reads:
with HCP company logo on left side
It is made of the highest quality heavy cast brass, measuring 11 3/4 by 39 1/2 inches and weighs a substantial 56 pounds!
Click here for enlarged view.
H. Cegielski - Poznań S.A. is among the world's top manufacturers of machines and equipment for the shipbuilding industry.
The company was established in 1846, and its development proceeded in a number of stages. Hipolit Cegielski was the founder of the company. Initially, the company made machines, tools and equipment for the agri-food industry.
After Poland regained independence, the firm started manufacturing railway rolling stock.
Shortly before the outbreak of World War II, a division producing machine tools and artillery equipment was established. During the war, the company was controlled by the German corporation DWM.
The engine era, which has lasted up to this day, began in the 1950s, when licences to manufacture marine engines were acquired from Sulzer Brothers Ltd., Switzerland (currently Wärtsilä Switzerland Ltd.) and Burmeister & Wain, Denmark (currently MAN Diesel A/S).
The 1990s was a time of structural changes at HCP. Ten limited liability daughter companies were spun off. In the same period, the company was awarded the ISO 9001 Quality Management System Certificate, the ISO 14001 Environmental Management Certificate, and the PN-N 18001 and OHSAS 18001 Health and Safety Certificate.