Bronze boiler builder's plate salvaged from the ferry "SS Pocahontas". Embossed "COMBUSTION ENGINEERING CO., INC., NEW YORK, MARINE BOILER FOR POCAHONTAS." Dated 1940. Measures 18-7/8 x 11.5". Weighs 17 pounds. Six mounting holes.
HISTORY: The S.S. Pocahontas was built in 1941 for the Virginia Ferry Corporation. Originally 282 Feet long, she was later cut in half and had an additional hull section added to give her a new length of 358 Feet. The Pocahontas was powered by two steam engines and served on the Chesapeake Bay crossing until 1964 when she was sold to Delaware for service between Cape May, N.J. and Lewis, Del. At one time, the Pocahontas carried a flask containing earth taken from the grave of the Indian Princess Pocahontas in Saint George's Churchyard in Gravesend, England.
From the Edward L. Greenwood Maritime Museum Collection