A WWII era British made galvanized metal and brass "PORT" ship's marine Lantern manufactured by METEORITE. The brass makers tag states: "METEORITE, NO 4001" with a brass banner above that states "PORT". The Fresnel lens is etched "M.W.S.L.C. 118." Features a thick, clear glass Fresnel lens with removable interior ruby red lens. Metal bail swing handle on top. A removable slide back door opens to access to the interior. The opposite back wall with bulkhead mounting bracket and brass tightening key. Now electrified using a removable old kerosene burner. Stands 22 inches tall, exclusive of the bail handle, 10 inches sides and 16 inches across the front. Weighs 18 pounds!
CONDITION: This early ship's light survives retaining an old bronzed patinate metal surface. A few surface dents and expected surface wear from years of use at sea. The back slide plate with handle is a replacement. Thick glass Fresnel lens and interior red lens survive in perfect condition! Interior light with new light socket and lamp cord.
W. T. George & Co. Ltd Trade name: Meteorite
George William started in 1880 as a small tinplate worker on 49 ½ Bishop street in Birmingham; this was later renumbered to 123 Bishop Street. His son William Thomas George probably joined the business later as the name was changed to W.T. George & Co Ltd. In 1941 they received a patent for the lamp, and this patent number was added to the Meteorite logo plate. The business was active until 1973; William Harvie & Co probably took over the company. They also are recognized due to their used trademark, Meteorite.