An antique three draw presentation telescope by J H Steward London, Victorian, dated 1882. In very good cosmetic and optical condition, the makers name is engraved on the first draw tube. A second engraving is located on the collar of the third draw that states "1882, MAURICE R.C.,Senior Fours, C.E. PARRY." This was an award given to C.E. Parry of the "senior fours", Maurice Rowing Club." (see reference below).
The objective lens delivers a clear sharp image which is well focused, and all lenses are free from damage. View end with slide cover and original objective brass lens cover. The 3 draw tubes have a firm, smooth draw action, retain, surviving in "like new" order. The leather covered main barrel's stitching is in excellent condition as is the leather and with roped ends. A small loop is stitched into each rope end for attaching a carrying strap.
Drawn Length: 22 1/2"
Objective Lens Diameter: 1 3/8"
STEWARD, J.H., London, England.
J.H.Steward Ltd. Opticians and instrument makers, London.
Worked at 406 and 66 Strand and 54 Cornhill; 406 Strand and 56 Cornhill; all in London.
The optician, James Henry Steward, founded his business in 1852 and produced an extensive range of items for military use advertised as instruments for ‘Reconnoitring, Sketching, Night Marching, Signally, Gun Laying’. In the middle of the 19th century the business was appointed as the optician to Her Majesty's British & Foreign Governments, the National Rifle Associations of England, India, Canada & the Colonies and the National Artillery Association
J.H. Steward Ltd. made microscopes, telescopes, sundials, stick barometers, etc.; examples today may be found at The Metropolitan
Museum of Art, National Maritime Museum and the Cambridge Zoological Laboratory.
The Maurice Rowing Club is mentioned in numerous books, sporting and college magazines and newspapers. A few to mention:
"The Working Men's College, 1854-1904: Records of Its History and Its Work .." In the later'seventies the Club declined, and when it was revived in 1879 it was under the title of the Maurice Rowing Club. The problem of title was a real one for the Rowing Club, for 'Working Men'was a boycotted title on the river.
"Sculls Or Oars. Maurice Rowing Club. To the Scullers, Present and Future, of the Club."
By Frederick James FURNIVALL · 1886
From the book "The Social History of English Rowing" - Page 97.
"Among the first college clubs to be formed was the Maurice Rowing Club, whose founder and leading light was Frederick Furnivall, a recent Cambridge graduate embarked upon a lifetime's task of compiling the definitive English dictionary."
Victorian Visionaries - Page 190
Brenda Colloms · 1982 · Snippet view
FOUND INSIDE – PAGE 190
They were usually called 'Maurice Rowing Club' in a vain attempt to disguise their working class origins, for such was the snobbish attitude of the organizers of Thames rowing clubs that they operated an unofficial boycott of ...