A brass combination port, starboard and bow light designed for small craft, made by William Porter's Sons, New York, circa 1860. A clear thick bullseye lens bow light above the makers tag with port and starboard glass windows framed in angled sides. Original brass oval maker's badge states: Wm. Porter's Sons, Makers, 271 Pearl St., New York. Hinged door on back opens to interior with interior ring on bottom to hold burner (no longer with lantern). The starboard green glass is of a wavy, blown glass texture but does not match the port glass which is unfortunately cracked with a small chip missing and was probably a replacement. Also, one of the four button feet on the bottom is missing. Still a very rare and extremely hard to find surviving American small craft light retaining a fine old and mellow patina. Measures 12.5" x 8.5" wide.
The last photo image is of a second Porter Co., New York tricolor combination port, starboard, bow light, now on display at the
Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, Halifax, Nova Scotia.