A late 19th century copper "ANCHOR" ship's marine Lantern manufactured by RC Murray of Glasgow, Scotland. Makers tag states: "RC MURRAY & CO., CARLTON COURT, BRIDGE ST., GLASGOW." Features a thick, clear glass Fresnel lens, 6 brass lens protective bars, hinged top with bail handle opens to access to the light interior. Hinged clasp to fasten down the lid. Now electrified with interior and lamp cord with ON/OFF switch. Stands 20 inches tall and 10 inches in diameter. Weighs 18 pounds!
CONDITION: This early ship's light survives retaining a wonderful old bronzed patinate surface. Some of the protective bars were refitted do to worn mounting holes. Some surface dents and surface wear. The top chimney cap replaced brass top bolt. Missing top and bottom swing handles. The thick glass Fresnel lens is in perfect, like new condition!
HISTORY: RC Murray of Glasgow Scotland mad marine lamps as well as lamps for the railways. Several different addresses were found but nothing on the founder or company history. The company is listed in the Scottish Post Office Directories for 1885 to 1886 as manufacturing tinsmiths, lamp makers, coppersmiths, gas fitters, bell hangers and workers in sheet iron, zinc and brass at street numbers 7, 9 and 11 Carlton Court, Bridge St Glasgow.