An engine order receiver from the engine room of the M.V. Oregon Sword, a C1-Mt-BU1 Cargo Vessel. The telegraph was manufactured by the Durkee Marine Products Corp. of Staten Island N.Y. as engraved on the top of the telegraphs brass plate face. AHEAD commands are FULL, HALF, SLOW, STAND BY & STOP.
ASTERN commands are FULL, HALF, SLOW, FINISHED WITH ENGINE. A brass handle on the side moves the arrow to each command. Very loud bell to be heard throughout the engine room.
PROVENANCE: Provided by the previous owner who personally removed the telegraph from the Oregon Sword when the ship was docked at Port Newark waiting to be returned
by Sea-Land Service to the Maritime Administration and scrapping. Only 4 vessels of this class were built. In 1947 the Sword Line of New York acquired three of them. The Oregon Sword was returned to the U.S. Government in 1967 and scrapped in the same year. It was fabricated by the Durkee Marine Products Company of Staten Island and survives in good condition.
length: 19" width: 11" height: 14". Weighs 21 pounds.